The ancient Bouquets in Paravola

The fortress of Paravola, the panoramic view of Lake Trichonida and the conquerors over the years ...

To the north of Lake Trichonida, in the town of Paravola in the municipality of Agrinio, in the center of the settlement rises a hill called Paliokastro, with a panoramic view of Lake Trichonida, the top of which is the ruins of the ancient fortress of Attica.

Στα ερείπια του κάστρου συνυπάρχουν στοιχεία από την Ελληνιστική, την Βυζαντινή και την Οθωμανική περίοδο. It is a small fortress and settlement.

The fortification of the city consisted of a wide enclosure which is now best preserved in the northern part of the city, where in some places the wall retains almost its original height. To the south, the enclosure stretched to the lowland part of Lake Trichonida, but its traces gradually disappeared, leaving its overall form and extent unclear.

In the construction of the fortification there are variations that suggest repairs and completions of the fortification from the early phase of 5 century to the Hellenistic years when the city was a member of the Aetolian Confederacy.

The acropolis, which was built on the north side, was small and elongated. The entrance was on the west side and was framed by semicircular towers. Outwardly he followed the natural morphology with a series of irregular protrusions.

In the southeastern corner of the citadel there is a semicircular tower, which is currently maintained at a considerable height and consists of twenty buildings, three windows and two doors. This tower communicated both with the acropolis and with the rest of the fortification. On the south side there are signs of a wooden scale, which can lead to a wooden roof or platform.

Τα τείχη είναι κτίσματα του 4ου π.Χ. Οι ημικυκλικοί και τετράγωνοι πύργοι είναι κτίσματα των βυζαντινών χρόνων. Near the tower there are ruins of a Turkish fortress.

From the Byzantine period is also the nearby church of Panagia Kastro (Assumption of the Virgin), which is limited to the eastern part of the middle aisle of the Early Christian basilica of 6 century. Of particular importance is the morphology of the apse.

Its present size is the result of interventions and disasters during the time of the Despotate and later of the Ottoman domination.

The area was dominated by the Ottoman Turks and remained conquered as 1828, and was included in the first autonomous state with the arrival of Capodistrias to finally become the 1830 department of the first independent Greek state.

Text-Video: Andreas Koutsothanassis

Διαβάστε ακόμη…